3M Earplug Lawsuit News

100 veterans in Waco sue 3M, tens of thousands more expected

More than 100 veterans in Waco, Texas have filed lawsuits against 3M claiming that faulty ear plugs caused hearing loss and related medical issues — and the attorneys involved believe there could be tens of thousands more lawsuits.

3M settled a federal lawsuit in July for $9.1 million to resolve the allegations that it knowingly supplied the military with defective ear plugs — but the company did not admit liability in the settlement. Now, veterans like the 100 in Waco are seeking compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and loss of wages and earning capacity.

“Unfortunately, too often our service members are taken advantage of by individuals and entities that care more about making money than making a safe and reliable product,” Waco attorney Robert Stem told Waco Tribune-Herald. “Our goal is to right this injustice so that it never happens again.”

Robert Stem and fellow Waco attorney Mo Aziz are representing 1,000 veterans, and they believe tens of thousands more will file similar lawsuits nationally.

“In fact, as of Fiscal Year 2017, there were over 1.6 million veterans service connected for tinnitus,” said James Henry, a research career scientist at VA Portland Healthcare System. “Around 80 percent aren’t particularly bothered by it, they might ignore it, whereas the other 20 percent are irritated to the point that they need clinical services.”

The Judicial Panel for Multidistrict Litigation set a hearing for March 28 in Washington, D.C. to determine if the suits will be consolidated. Veterans who believe they are eligible for compensation can join the lawsuit here.

Source: Connecting Vets/Radio.com

Top